Monday, April 30, 2007

Week 8: In which Carlton found what he was looking for

Give the dog a bone; this chap man came rolling home!

We all have our agenda with what we do. Some of us sing to be heard, some to be seen and some to help Carlton along the road to his Sanjaya. After many months of anticipation and preparation, eight weeks of qualifying rounds and innumerable trials and errors, we’ve come down to 24 people who are singing to win.

Last Wednesday brought us some more new talent- something that we’ve begun to cheerfully look forward to. Suman deserves a special mention for her rendition of Misty by Sarah Vaughn. Suman, it’s a real pity you didn’t make it. You were a little shaky on that song, and I don’t blame you- Ms. Vaughn is fairly inimitable. But I hope you’ll come back every Wednesday anyway. And ideally with more jazz for us. Some of us are turning many shades of blue, for lack of good jazz.

There were other colourful moments- Sanjay, with his lyric-less belting out of Can You Feel The Love Tonight, and Sushma who gave us her startling and mildly disturbing version of Shaggy’s Angel. And of course, Mr. Mark Lazaro, about whom I’ve written more than an advisable amount on this blog. Well, try and stop me. Mark, how about a new song for us? Before too much love kills us, you know? Fi fie fo fum!

Getting back to business, four people qualified, bringing us to our desired tally of 24:

Roopika- You sang one of my least favourite songs of all-time (Hero- Mariah Carey). Which means, I’ve heard that song two weeks in a row in Opus. Which means, I should be really really unhappy at this point. But if you’ve heard yourself sing, you’ll know that’s not true. Hats off!

Swetha- Congratulations on making it. And thank you ever so much for not attempting Alanis’s yodel on One Hand In My Pocket. Hopefully, people will now realize that it’s possible to sing Alanis without subjecting an unassuming drunk audience to a split-voiced shriek at irregular intervals.

Sulekha- Turns out Orange Coloured Sky is the unofficial heart-winner of this season. Nina put magic into that song before bursting our collective pink bubbles by opting out of the contest. And now, you. Congratulations, girl.

Thomas- Well, well, well! Who would’ve thought it possible?! To be honest, not I. But no matter; the judges voted and you made it and all the best to you. Carlton is showing all of his shiny white(ish) teeth on having found his Sanjaya. But a word of caution: if you pick Something to Talk About, I might attempt murder. Please, please don’t ever do something like that to me, bonnie lad.

I want to also quickly mention Anand who sang Love Story. On my little piece of paper, I had a big exclamation mark next to your name. That usually means, had I been a judge, you’d have been given a place. You didn’t attempt to imitate anyone or sing is someone else’s voice, and I thank you for that rare experience.

No marriage proposals this week. But I’ll carry a ring with me to Opus next Wednesday, to make up for it. And hopefully Carlton will be giving us something to talk about as well. So. Here are our final 24!

1) Jacob
2) Tania
3) Keerthana
4) Mark Lazaro
5) Jude Lazaro
6) Pratik
7) Jerusha
8) Andy
9) Venkatesh
10) Divya Joseph
11) Remya
12) Abhijit
13) Pragnya
14) Lindsay
15) Bharath
16) Russ
17) Malliga
18) Gulshan
19) Goo
20) Aishwarya
21) Roopika
22) Swetha
23) Sulekha
24) Thomas


Hang in there for my next post, which will be wearing a tie and being very business-like. It’s all about the rules, regulations, dos, don’ts and or-elses.

15 comments:

Young Thos. said...

In my defence, Anoopa, that song choice happened on the spot when Mark informed me that my original choice - KT Tunstall's "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree" - could not be transposed. It does not help that Opus gives me the most ghastly stage fright, which is why I vanished from all karaoke nights for a year and a half.

Anyway, now I have a point to prove. See you next week! :)

Anoopa Anand said...

It's all good, Thos! Am looking forward to the pre-finals. All the best!

Young Thos. said...

Hahahaha... thanks! :)

And now I never have to sing that damned song again!

Young Thos. said...

Oh, and didn't Carlton say that Russ was one of the people he was considering as his Sanjaya?

Anoopa Anand said...

Thomas! Stop shouting at me, I say. Don't you WANT to be Sanjaya? Come on. Ponytails and all.

Unknown said...

hey noops . . . too much love will kill you . . . but i will do anything for love

it will all make sense real soon . . . ?

Young Thos. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Young Thos. said...

If VoteForTheWorst.com endorses me, I'll happily be anything, Anoopa. Don't worry.

Seriously, though, I thought Carlton found his Sanjaya when Russ made it - since he was one of his picks and all that.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Anoopa.
Very kind!
A!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Anoopa.
Very kind!
A!

Anoopa Anand said...

Thos: You are Sanjaya, okay? Work with us, Thomas, work with us. Orange Coloured Shirt.

Anand: You earned it! :) Hope we see you back this evening.

ceebee said...

weak 8 moment ... in which anoopa found happiness :)

Young Thos. said...

Sorry, boss, my orange T-shirt is being washed.

And if I'm Sanjaya, does that mean I'm also "the smartest contestant in this competition"?

Anoopa Anand said...

No.

Young Thos. said...

Humph. Oh well, it could be worse. I could be Antonella.

SEASON 3 KROAKING FINALE PICS

INDIAN IDLE

INDIAN IDLE
KroaKing season 2 every wednesday